Mount Pierce Hiking Trip
Wrap up your summer with an adventure through the woods!
Join us for an opportunity to get away from the demands of daily life and enjoy the great outdoors in the Presidential Peaks in New Hampshire. Tom Durfee and Jen Greeke, returning leaders from the Intro to Backpacking trip, are excited to share their knowledge & experience and join you back on the trail.
This intermediate day hike will lead us up Mount Pierce, via Crawford Path. No experience is required so bring your friends as we explore the Appalacian Woods for a day of adventure-filled fun!
Middle and High school age, experience not required for this day hike, exploring Mount Pierce (part of the Presidential Peaks in the New Hampshire White Mountains)
Wednesday August 16th, 2017
[rain date: Wednesday August 23, 2017]
Meet @ 5:30 am for a 6am departure from Mass Audubon
Return to Mass Audubon at 6pm
Mass Audubon, 346 Grapevine Rd. Wenham, Right off of 128
how to Be Prepared
Please come dressed in weather appropriate attire [i.e. shorts, pants or cut offs & t shirt] & hiking shoes [or any shoe with good traction], with a small daypack/personal backpack [preferably with a waist belt/sternum strap] that is sized appropriately to fit the following items:
- Fleece Top Layer
- Rain Layer
- 2 Quarts of Water (2 x 32 oz water bottles; or a camelback with an extra water bottle)
- Snacks & Lunch--it will be a long day so plan on a morning AND an afternoon snack; remember, we are carrying everything, so make sure you're well fed, but also try and keep it light!
- Snacks, perhaps a few granola bars, nuts or dried fruits
- Lunch: maybe a pita/tortilla (or bread) with cheese & dried meats
- Bug Spray
- Sun Protection sunscreen and/or a baseball cap or brimmed hat--especially for when we are above tree line!!
*Please note that seaside sustainability will not be supplying any food or gear on this outing*
5:30 AM Meet at Mass Audubon
6 AM Depart
9 AM Arrive at AMC Highland Center
12 PM Summit Mt. Pierce
3 PM Return to AMC Highland Center
6 PM Return to Mass Audubon for pickup
We will be traveling to and from the trail head by private car. We will be taking two cars, each driven by one of our two trip leaders, Tom & Jen. This will give us space to carry 8 passengers. If registrations exceed that, we may call upon any willing parents interested in driving, to join us for the day in exchange for a waived participation fee for their child.