Green Scholars and apprentices is a Course designed to give students a chance to directly impact their school. offered through an online format, this course is designed for both middle school and high school students looking to further their education in sustainability sciences.
Green Scholars Has Two Essential Parts
- CESL “Cooperative Environmental Sustainability Learning”: an ongoing student (or teacher) lead classroom activity that increases students knowledge of environmental sustainability. Using a given format students independently design and conduct a lesson with the class on assigned environmental sustainability issue. Skills include researching with careful use of sources, communication of main ideas and supporting detail, and class or group management skills.
Environmental/Sustainability Projects: The benefits of sustainability projects are multifaceted. They serve as a learning tool for students to reach their learning goals, increase school wide sustainability efforts, reduce environmental impact, costs, and improve health and wellness. Most importantly, projects serve a model for learning lifelong environmental sustainability behaviors. While building on students understanding of environmental sustainability issues, projects allows for explicit instruction and guided practice of “Getting It Done” skills. Organization, time management, and leadership skills are essential for life-long personal and professional successes. Choosing projects is made easy with two provided resources:
- Sustainability School Evaluation: a comprehensive evaluation to help your school evaluate their sustainability practices and how to best use resources and expertise to reach sustainability goals.
- Project List: project ideas with extensive logistical information help to match students with project demands.
Potential projects can be anything students believe their school would benefit from...
- Food composting
- Recycling store for clothes, electronics, sports equipment
- Reducing plastic use within the school
- Water conservation
- Green cleaning
- Energy conservation
- Solar charging in each classroom for electronics
- Rainwater harvesting
- Worm composting
- Exploring buying green energy for your school
Learning "Get It Done" Skills
Throughout the course we emphasize the importance of learning what we call "Get it Done" skills. This includes...
- Developing Organization: In managing projects and classroom discussion, students will learn the importance of being well organized and prepared
- Time Management: Students will learn to efficiently manage their time wisely from being encouraged to undergo project based learning among other activities in the course
- Leadership Skills: Leading the classroom discussion and projects will engage students and encourage them to become leaders for their piers and community
Premiere access the website
Videos based training
Rubrics identifying student objectives which can be used for advanced organizer, assessment
Management and instructional guides for CESL, DOT, Green Scholars - Green Apprentice
School Self Evaluation & Project List
Comprehensive list of national resources
And coming soon will be an individual school portal where schools can show off and share their successes and accomplishments!
Benefits of the Green Scholars/ Apprentice Courses
Project-based learning enhances student engagement through the active participation in projects that focus on real-world issues rather than passively attending classes
Provides opportunities for differentiated learning options within inclusive classrooms and to learn and practice leadership, “Getting It Done” skills
Teaches a sense of resiliency and adaptation to environmental changes
Enhances school wide sustainability efforts
Develops empowered, entrepreneurial leaders that are “future ready,” prepared to enter the 21st century workforce
Naturally integrates science, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines
Easy to implement eductor which includes valid and reliable assessments and simple video tutorials available online
Students, staff, and schools are poised to gain recognition and awards
History & Awards
This course has a great history of success. The author of this course has trained more than 300 educators and administrators from around the country and continue to consult with their programs. This author, and participating schools, and students have won countless regional and national awards making it one of the most award winning project based learning and environmental sustainability literacy programs in the nation.
For more information email: email@example.com