Our programs and initiatives encourage members of the community young and old to build and nurture a relationship with local land and seascapes. Join Seaside Sustainability for any season, or during breaks in your school schedule, to explore myriad internship opportunities, relevant to almost any future interest.
is seaside a good fit for you?
We are looking for part-time interns in high school, college and beyond to work 6-20 hours a week on a diverse and challenging array of projects and initiatives. Our interns engage in focused learning experiences where they receive guidance and resources to apply knowledge and skills to their emerging professional lives. We are accepting applications for unpaid internships, with hours available any day of the week and practically any time of day: weekdays, weekends, and evenings included. We prefer to have our local interns work in person at the office in Rockport, and we also invite interns from all over the United States and internationally to apply.
Interested in joining our passionate & dedicated entrepreneurial team?
Interns will work in our office at 45 Broadway Rockport, MA. (The office is a different location than our permanent mailing address, PO Box 131 Gloucester, MA 01931.)
Academic Credit & Service Hours Fulfillment
We at Seaside work alongside colleges, universities and schools to provide students with the resources and opportunities to meet any program requirements for accredited internship requirements and service hours. We will assist interns in creating learning goals that align with the internship duties and provide written documentation of work performed, recommendations, and evaluations for students.
College Majors Suited
Students that will find success and enjoyment in an intern role with Seaside Sustainability include those with majors and/or interests in Business Administration, Entrepreneurship, Accounting, Marketing, Liberal Studies, Writing, Journalism, Education (especially non-traditional, non-classroom), Environmental Studies (wide spectrum), Adventure Education, Outdoor Leadership, or Digital Communication & Multimedia, though all majors and interests are welcome and encouraged to apply!
are you a good fit for seaside?
Many of Seaside's initiatives are in the start-up phase, while others have been in progress for a while. We work on a wide array of local, regional and national programs and initiatives which create real world entrepreneurial problem-solving opportunities that are interesting, diverse and stimulating! Our interns are never bored because they’re given REAL and MEANINGFUL work. All internships are led by educators that allow interns to be hands on and explore what they want which makes Seaside unique from other internships.
Interns will not be limited to just one role; we encourage each intern to take advantage of the opportunity to explore a variety of roles & responsibilities.
Research, Writing & Program Development:
Put your sustainable business hat on to research business development components and relevant sustainability issues for marketing content. You will also hone your practiced writing skills to develop business plans, grant funding proposals, contract agreements, program descriptions, and more!
Marketing & Social Media:
Take your social media prowess to the next level to manage a professional social media presence that complements our website; promote current programs, upcoming opportunities, status updates on sustainability initiative progress and current events in education & sustainability.
Sift through our media library from ongoing programs and initiatives to create marketing tools such as promotional videos, brochures and info graphics.
We are in the midst of developing an assessment tool to provide value to organizations focused on redefining their business structure & functionality with sustainability in mind. As these components come to life, we need to establish an online website presence to market and initiate these tools.
Sustainability Initiative Project Manager:
Get involved in relevant sustainability issues locally; plan and execute community-based projects around this environmental focus to inform and involve local communities. We have three local initiatives in the works, and are always designing more!
objectives & Skills Learned
Depending on specific internship interests and individual learning goals, interns will be exposed to a wide range of experiences and opportunities throughout their internship with Seaside Sustainability.
1. Seaside will provide opportunities for practice and refinement of many skills inherent to an internship position, including how to:
- engage in a work environment (both in and out of the office) and present oneself professionally
- navigate career-based decision making
- practice self-direction, self-sufficiency & critical thinking
2. Seaside will provide work that is authentic, intrinsically meaningful, relevant and pertinent that prepares interns to enter—and succeed in—the workforce, including opportunities to:
- practice project & team management
- participate in consultations, meetings & conferences
- shadow industry & community leaders
- participate in strategic decision making
3. Work will be available throughout the period of the internship such that Seaside interns will be able to structure their schedule around individual or school/work program needs.
4. Supervision will be provided by our organization's directors, of whom are professionals with educational backgrounds and expertise in their fields.
5. Formative evaluation will be practiced throughout the experience; feedback is an essential component to any team dynamic, interns will practice not only receiving, but also how to give constructive feedback. We will provide interns with constructive feedback & guidance to refine interns' knowledge & skill base as well as goals & accomplishments.